Friday, September 29, 2006

The Case of the Cat on the Motorboat

Preschoolers come up with the best stories. I have the privilege of working in two preschools every day (Mon-Fri) - one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I go to the schools to support kids on the spectrum who are in mainstream classes. During lunchtime at one of the preschools today, I was half listening to this little comedian boy on one side of me, and half listening to the adorable boy I was there to support. I was basically trying to get the two boys to socialize during lunchtime, but they both ended up talking at me at the same time, vying for attention. I was trying hard to understand both of them, when suddenly I realized Comedian Boy was telling me about his cat flying off a motor boat.

I was like, "Wait, whoa, whoa, what? Your cat flew off a motorboat?"

So he starts the story again from the beginning. His family went out on a motorboat - only he doesn't say motorboat, he says "mozobo." So the family took their cat mozobo-ing with them. (??Who takes a cat mozobo-ing??) They went really fast in the mozobo, and the cat flew out.

I lost it. Once you get the image in your head - I mean a really clear image of a cat flying out of a speeding motorboat - it's really hard not to start cracking up. One of the other teachers overheard me say, "So that's a true story? Your cat really flew out of a motorboat?" The other teacher and I made eye contact for a second and started cracking up. But we tried really hard to contain our laughter, because we were both thinking the same thing: "Oh, no! Maybe we shouldn't be laughing. Maybe it's a true story, and the little boy's cat really did fly off a mozobo!"

So I asked the boy again if it really happened, and he said, "Yep." I asked what happened to the cat. (I'm picturing the family jumping into the water, rescuing the cat). The kid thinks for a few seconds, and says matter of factly, "He died."

So now I really don't know if I should be laughing, but the image of the cat flying out of the motorboat is stuck in my head.

I'm 70% sure this story is mostly fiction. The kid is seriously going to be a comedian. When I remembered the story later in the day, I started cracking up again. I laughed harder than I have in months, and it felt really good.

But what if it's true? What if the family really did bring their cat motorboating, and what if the boy's cat really did fly off the motorboat and die?

Still, you gotta' admit, it's pretty funny.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Schoolgal said...

It's like a scene right out of a Chevy Chase movie.

I just hope the kid was wearing floaters at the time--and next time Fluffy is too.

10:30 AM  
Blogger The Rain said...

There's a picture hanging in our staff room right now of a cat flying off of an intertube that's being pulled behind a motorboat. I think it's one of those viral things going around--perhaps that's where he got the idea?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Bob Calder said...

I don't think it is unusual for a class comedian to have a really shitty home life - so it wouldn't surprise me if it daddy didn't go back for the cat. Did you see the news story about the teenage vandals who put a woman's cat in the oven?

I had a student tell me he went to his dad's funeral to make sure he stayed there. He was very serious.

Don't feel bad about it though. He wanted you to think it was funny and you did. Later on he can confront the issue - whichever it is - with your help.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Ms. M said...

That is hilarious. I started cracking up just before you said you lost it. I seriously am trying to control my laughter right now since I'm sitting in a coffee shop.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Reuben said...

That's a great story--and I believe it, too. And I laughed.

I have two cats, I love cats, but I always laugh when I hear about
something bad like that befalling a cat. I think it's because cats have
this natural dignity. Somehow bad things happening to dogs, that's not
funny. Dogs chase cars, for Pete's sake. Dogs ask for it. (I have a
dog, too.)

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, kids are funny. My kids are now 10 and 12 and it's been almost 20 years since I taught pre-school - your story makes me want to go back.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home