Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Amazing Moments in Autism

Happy New Year Blogosphere!

Today David reminded me how amazing and sometimes downright hilarious the world of autism can be. I usually walk David straight from his apartment building to school, but today we were early, and I was desperate for caffeine. We stopped at the Starbucks across the street from his pre-school, and I ordered my usual. In typical Starbucks fasion, the cashier called my drink out to the barista, and the barista repeated it. Having now heard the name of my drink three times, David had it firmly planted in his memory. Three hours later, during circle time, David blurted out (much to his teachers' amusement), "Grande no whip mocha!"

Guilty as charged. I'm sure his parents will be thrilled to learn that their 4-yr-old frequents Starbucks.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Sara said...

I almost spit out my own coffee while reading this! Was wondering if you would continue "amazing moments in autism." The autistic memory is amazing!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Schoolgal said...

Your posts are few and far between and I really miss your stories. I take it you really like your new position.

Did u ever get your state certification?

12:25 PM  
Blogger Miss Dennis said...

Hi Schoolgal,

I do really like working with younger kids with autism! I guess I am sleeping a bit better these days, so writing less. (I usually write late at night when I can't sleep.) I am still battling with the state and NYCTF over my certification. It's infuriating, but I think it will be ok. Thanks for being such a big support of all the NYC teachers' blogs!

Miss Dennis

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Schoolgal said...

Now I understand why NYC teachers blog and I post. It is a great stress reliever. But many of the problems could easily be alleviated if administrators treated the job more professionally instead of abusing their powers.

I am happy that you are in a good place doing the job you always wanted to do.

1:09 PM  
Blogger mcewen said...

I have that with both my boys......things gurgle and process and hours [sometimes days] later, it just pops out!
Best wishes

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

My favorite echolalia moment was when my little girl finished her work and then gleefully requested, "I want open-the-door!" for her break time. She had to take my hand and pull me out into the hallway to make me understand what she wanted, which was to jump on the trampoline.

Apparently, every time we were heading out to the trampoline, I was saying, "Okay! Open the door!" which naturally led her to think that "open-the-door" was the name of the activity.

Then there was the kid whose mom thought he'd learned to curse when, in fact, he was just yelling at her to sit down in Spanish, just like his bus driver always did.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home