Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What Math Teachers Can Accomplish

Former high school math teacher Brenda Pfeiffer discovered that a computer glitch was causing the U.S. Department of Education to overcharge her for student loans. After repeatedly attempting to resolve the issue with the Dept. of Ed, she started a class action lawsuit on behalf of millions of people with student loans. The article appeared in yesterday's Washington Post.

This gives me faith that I did the right thing by getting involved in a class action suit related to special ed teaching fellows.

Oh yeah. A small group of teaching fellows and I started a class action.

It's related to the NYC Teaching Fellows and Mercy College. It's complicated and a major headache. I've been wondering lately if I'm doing the right thing, since it's turned into such a major hassle in my life. A friend of mine, to whom I cried about the difficulties of the case, sent me the above article, and she said she thought I was doing the right thing.

More on my class action later. I really don't know how much info on the case I should divulge here, since it is an ongoing case.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can safely say anything that is in the complaint you filed or anything else in a public document. But don't editorialize about it. Your attorney will kill you and those statements can be used against you.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Liz from I Speak of Dreams.

As anon said...but if I were you I wouldn't write anything publicly beyond what you have said to date until the case is settled.

Better safe than sorry.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever your class action, I wish you well. The NYC teaching fellows rejected my husband (presumably because there are SO many NYC natives with Ph.D.'s in mathematics from Stanford who are chomping at the bit to teach in the public school system, so there wasn't room for one more)so I am not a fan of the Fellows program.

But I am a big fan of your blog!

Lillet Langtry

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home